★ Money Challenge #21: Choose Your Own Challenge

Posted April 24, 2017 6:00 am by with 9 comments

This is part of our weekly Money Challenge series.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about personal finance is how different everyone’s situation is. You would think that because we are all dealing with the same tools (cash, numbers, math, budgets, etc.) that more people would be in the same place, but you don’t have to look very deep to see massive differences.

Bottom line… Personal finance is personal.

Because of this, we thought it would be fun to do a challenge everyone could make their own:

For this week’s challenge, choose your own adventure challenge!

Here are a few ideas to get you going…

• Check something off your to-do list that’s been there for way too long
  • Set a new goal or review your current goals
  • Do some career/side hustle scheming
  • Do something not related to finance at all, but that can have a long-term financial impact (eating healthier, exercising, decluttering!)

Let us know what you decide to choose, and what it will do for your money.

If you’re looking for ideas, check out our growing list of 20 other money challenges!

*****

Update!

Here’s some of the highlights from this week’s challenge over in the rockstar forums.

I’m challenging myself to find combinations to improve myself.

For example, walking my dog with my husband covers a lot of stuff: my health, my husband’s health, our dog’s health, good quality time, not paying for a gym, and not spending money doing anything else.

I also just started a blog with themed days that are meant to make me write regularly, learn new art things, finish art projects, continuously learn new financial things, and put myself out there. These are all goals I’ve been trying to keep myself accountable to for a while, but was not keeping up with. –Smudged

I am challenging myself to bring 2 bins of my sons toys/clothes to a donation drop this week. The clutter is getting out of control! –MamaFishSaves

I just started seriously diving into my Spartan Race training and this week my challenge is to do my pushups every day!! –AmyB

My challenge this week has nothing to do with money or finances it has to do with tears…

My 19 year old son is leaving this week for a 4 month job out-of-state. My challenge this week is to show love, support, and encouragement for him to be taking such a huge leap of faith into the unknown and not cry! He doesn’t need his mom blabbering all over the place at the airport. A simple hug and “GO GET ‘EM” is what he needs. Not a worried mother. I’m trying to live up to this challenge. It’s a tough one on a personal/emotional level. –Mrs_Need2save

So, I tried starting a meditation habit back in March. It was somewhat successful – I used an app and meditated every day for 3 weeks. And I noticed my blood pressure was lower at the doctor after meditating for a couple of weeks…related or not? I think it must have been. I’ve since fallen off of the meditation wagon, so to speak. Went to the doctor today and my blood pressure is higher than before (it’s not even close to dangerously high, btw, but I felt better overall when I was meditating – physically and mentally). So, I challenge myself to meditating each day for the rest of the month!! –CentsiblyRich

I’m going to finally get my meal planning under control to save my sanity and money too. –MakingYourMoney

9 responses to ★ Money Challenge #21: Choose Your Own Challenge

1. Jody April 24th, 2017 at 8:52 am

Oh, this is easy. I’ve been putting off moving my $ from Edward Jones **hiss, spit** to Vanguard, and I just got the swanky-sound Medallion Signature Guarantee signed over the weekend, so it all goes in the mail today! Finally. Dreading the inevitible begging call from my EJ person, but I’m also going to bite the bullet and just call them first, get it over with.

Also listing some stuff on Ebay, doing a no-spend 2 week challenge.

And I may have found a place to buy. A lot going on after a few months of hurry up and wait.

• J. Money April 24th, 2017 at 10:59 am

As a fan boy of Vanguard, I salute you :)

They did most of it all over the phone for me when I called – def. made the experience MUCH easier/smoother, for what it’s worth. Though I was moving from USAA to them who are awesome at customer service and helping you. Even when you leave!

• Derek Olsen April 24th, 2017 at 11:31 am

Hopefully EJ doesn’t give you too much trouble. I can’t stand it when a company makes it hard for you to leave. Finance related or not.

2. Mrs. Picky Pincher April 24th, 2017 at 9:55 am

Woop wooop! This week it’s my goal to pick up at least one short term freelancing client. My freelancing income decreased in April since I’ve been so busy, and I’d like to get it back on track.

• J. Money April 24th, 2017 at 10:57 am

Nice! I hope you snag one!

• Derek Olsen April 24th, 2017 at 11:32 am

What kind of freelancing are you looking for? Maybe someone around here has a lead for you.

3. MontanaA April 24th, 2017 at 10:25 am

This year I’ve been doing $10 Tuesdays. Kind of like Taco Tuesdays, except sadly without any taco consumption. Every Tuesday I transfer $10 into a savings account of my choosing. Usually it flows to travel, life, or Vanguard. Sometimes I do multiple $10 transfers, making it more like $30 Tuesday. I was inspired to do so by a post from Mr. Money Mustache – A Millionaire is Made Ten Bucks at a Time. I started working at age 13, babysitting and housesitting across the vast neighborhood. $10 back then was a HUGE deal. Now I automate my big savings each month, but still take a little pleasure is stashing those tens away for the future, knowing that they will be worth more someday as they help me reach a bigger goal.

• J. Money April 24th, 2017 at 10:57 am

Love it!!! I remember that post by MMM – I think we actually featured it here on the site :) Great great idea indeed.

• Derek Olsen April 24th, 2017 at 11:33 am

I had tacos last night. ;)