Here are the latest games in the third round of the 2018 Rockstar Rumble.
We’ve listed each “game” (one post versus another) along with wording provided by the author when the post was submitted. Also listed is a keyword after each post title to make it easy to vote. Be sure to vote for your favorites since you will help determine the winner!
Criteria for the best article is what makes Rockstar content which includes these factors:
- Starts with an interesting title
- Includes unique content — we like posts that are edgy, feisty, funny, failure-focused, and super helpful
- Easy to read
- Positive/uplifting (vs. negative)
The voting will run for 48 hours. At that point, a winner will be named and will advance. You can follow the results in the brackets here. Please note, there is ONE VOTE PER PERSON.
To be sure you see all games, click on the Rumble category link and scroll down.
If you like great posts like these featured, you can subscribe to the Rockstar Finance weekday email and get the best personal finance articles delivered to your inbox.
Today’s games are brought to you by Mediavine, a full-service ad management solution for digital content creators.
Here are today’s games:
- Tax Cuts? Why Not Raise Your “Taxes” Instead? (Raise) – Everyone is feverishly reading news summaries and blog posts of the recently-passed tax bill. Most Americans will receive a tax cut, but perhaps they should impose a “tax increase” on themselves instead. This “personal Social Security system” is something both Republicans and Democrats can get behind.
- Know Thyself – Why I Am Scared to Travel Hack (Scared) – We have all heard about how great and easy travel hacking is. Alas for some of us what sounds good in theory causes major anxiety. I chronicle almost 20 years of trying to master credit cards and the lessons I’ve learned. A very personal take on a topic we’ve heard so much about.
Round 3, Game 1: Raise vs. Scared
- Scared (58%, 112 Votes)
- Raise (42%, 80 Votes)
Total Voters: 192
- Less Stress and More Happiness (Stress) – An employee living paycheck to paycheck relies on their job for their livelihood. That job is at risk of being lost due to poor company performance or at the whim of one decision maker. This is my story of how being laid off has motivated me to achieve financial independence. When your financial needs are under your control, you will have less stress and more happiness!
- The Epic Battle Against the Ball Gag 401k (Gag) – One man’s battle to bring peace and harmony to the retirement plans of a former company. With a little moxy, a lot of research and a little bit of luck, he changes the financial future of all the employees from here until eternity.
Round 3, Game 2: Stress vs. Gag
- Gag (53%, 113 Votes)
- Stress (47%, 100 Votes)
Total Voters: 213
- Avoid the Prisons That Incarcerate Your Soul (Soul) – What is more valuable than your soul? There is a picture in this article that shows you how to escape the prisons incarcerating your soul, and run free toward your deepest dreams in life.
- The Final Words Of A Dying Man (Final) – While so many of us chase short term goals in life, it’s important to pause and appreciate someone who demonstrated a special quality with his life. Jim was that man, and his final words were just another example of why his life was so unique. We should all learn from Jim – he deserves that.
Round 3, Game 3: Soul vs. Final
- Final (67%, 276 Votes)
- Soul (33%, 134 Votes)
Total Voters: 410
- How My Dad Finally Got Me to Read Investing Books (Dad) – This post dives into how much you should help your kids financially, and features a creative idea my dad came up with to encourage me to read difficult investing books. He offered a $100 bribe for each completed book plus a written report detailing what I had learned.
- Why You Should Invest, Even In Peak Markets (Peak) – As the market continues to rise to new heights and higher valuations, many are wondering if it is best to “wait for a crash”. But if you’re investing in for the long-term, this post outlines why you’re better off getting your money in the market today, even if this might really be the peak!
Round 3, Game 4: Dad vs. Peak
- Peak (62%, 252 Votes)
- Dad (38%, 154 Votes)
Total Voters: 406
He’s an early 50’s retiree who achieved financial independence, shares what’s worked for him, and details how others can implement those successes in their lives. He is also the author of a free ebook titled Three Steps to Financial Independence and spends a lot of his time interviewing millionaires.