Rockstar Rumble, Round 1, Posts 121-128
Here are the latest games in the first round of the 2018 Rockstar Rumble.
We’ve listed each “game” (one post versus another) along with wording provided by the author when the post was submitted. Also listed is a keyword after each post title to make it easy to vote. Be sure to vote for your favorites since you will help determine the winner!
Criteria for the best article is what makes Rockstar content which includes these factors:
- Starts with an interesting title
- Includes unique content — we like posts that are edgy, feisty, funny, failure-focused, and super helpful
- Easy to read
- Positive/uplifting (vs. negative)
The voting will run for 48 hours. At that point, a winner will be named and will advance. You can follow the results in the brackets here. Please note, there is ONE VOTE PER PERSON.
To be sure you see all games, click on the Rumble category link and scroll down.
If you like great posts like these featured, you can subscribe to the Rockstar Finance weekday email and get the best personal finance articles delivered to your inbox.
Today’s games are brought to you by Mediavine, a full-service ad management solution for digital content creators.
Here are today’s games:
- Second Generation FIRE (Second) – What do most parents want for their children, more than anything else? A better life than they had. What better way to give them that gift than to set them up to achieve early financial independence?
- Why You Don’t Need Things – And A Few Things You Need (Things) – This 2669-words beast of a post elaborates on the virtue of owning less. It explains why you don’t need things – and how you should think about the few things that you actually need.
Round 1, Game 61: Second vs. Things
- Second (65%, 42 Votes)
- Things (35%, 23 Votes)
Total Voters: 65
- How to Invest $1,000,000 for Financial Independence and Retirement (Invest) – A monster 3300 word post starting with a simple explanation of how money works, moving on to how investing and the economy really works and then explains how to setup a portfolio that will survive any catastrophe and also produce income for you through thick or thin. You don’t need $1m to use this strategy – you can start with $2k – $3k and scale from there.
- Why you can still reach FIRE without personal finance goals (Goals) – You’re not doomed if you can’t set personal finance goals. It is possible to achieve financial freedom regardless of your goal-setting abilities and this post walks you through the process.
Round 1, Game 62: Invest vs. Goals
- Goals (52%, 27 Votes)
- Invest (48%, 25 Votes)
Total Voters: 52
- Dear 20-Year Old, Invest Now and Retire Early (Early) – I decided to write a letter to my 20-year old nephew (yes, a physical letter) with advice on how he can retire early. I broke it down into 7 simple steps that will guide him to financial independence before he turns 40. To ensure he’d read the letter, I included some food bribery in the form of Domino’s and Qdoba gift cards. I’m sure his Qdoba burrito tasted good, but I KNOW his financial independence will taste even better.
- Five things I don’t regret spending money on (Regret) – So much of personal finance blogging is about ways to cut spending and save money so for a change I thought I’d write about things I’m glad I’ve spent money on. Not only am I glad I spent money on them, I’m grateful I was able to: in the US we’re lucky to able to spend money on the kinds of things we do, and to have the income to afford that spending. Plus I’ve got a fun, kinda controversial thing in that list! ;)
Round 1, Game 63: Early vs. Regret
- Regret (62%, 40 Votes)
- Early (38%, 25 Votes)
Total Voters: 65
- The Personal Finance Triple Constraint (Triple) – I belong to a lot of financial forums and there seems to be this constant competition between people who just want to figure out their money, people who really want to optimize, and people who are looking to get really wealthy. I wanted to highlight the inherent competition between these concepts and talk about the tradeoff – that it is virtually impossible to achieve all three at the same time. I’m hoping people use this post to think about what they really want and focus their effort on that!
- Are You Sure You Want that Big Promotion? (Promotion) – Who wouldn’t want to be promoted to a high level job at a company?! You…that’s who! Ever wonder what that kind of job is like? Daydream no more and come have a read!
Round 1, Game 64: Triple vs. Promotion
- Triple (72%, 68 Votes)
- Promotion (28%, 27 Votes)
Total Voters: 95