★ Money Challenge #6: Wake Up One Hour Earlier This Week

Posted January 9, 2017 6:00 am by with 12 comments

magic hour wake up

This is part of our Weekly Money Challenges.

The Magic Hour is the hour between when you wake up and when you start getting ready for your day. (Most of us have a magic minute!)

No shower, no email, no work, no breakfast! The magic hour happens before anything related to getting ready for the rest of your day.

Many people claim to get more done before 9 AM than they do the rest of the day, and it’s all because there are fewer distractions and fewer people wanting your attention.

This week’s challenge: Wake up an hour earlier and do something for your finances/career/dreams.

Use the time to knock out a few tasks or even a major goal you’ve been putting off. Better yet, start a new morning routine that allows you to ease into your day more stress-free!

Here are a few suggestions, but what you actually do with this hour is completely up to you. (And if one week is too much – do at least ONE DAY so you can see what it feels like!)

• Monday: Go for a walk or read. (Let’s ease into this, nothing too drastic!)
  • Tuesday: Finally pay those bills that have been piling up on your counter.
  • Wednesday: Get to work an hour early to impress your boss and/or do actual work.
  • Thursday: Start tracking your net worth!
  • Friday: Go over your expenses from the week and see what you can be better about.
  • Saturday: Work on your side hustle!
  • Sunday: Spend an hour in gratitude, thankfulness, and reflection.

Let us know what you plan on doing with your magic hour here or in our forums!

(Actually do this!)

******

PS: For the results of last week’s challenge, click here and scroll to the bottom.

UPDATE!

Gotta be honest here… This challenge had mixed results.

Not everyone is going to be a morning person, so not everyone took us up on this challenge!

Here’s a few reactions from over in the forum.

Actually, this is exactly what I do when I need to get a project done: I wake up an hour earlier each day. I consider it “found time” especially because there’s a two hour window in the evening where I just know I’m not going to get anything done, so trying to leaves me frustrated and disappointed in myself. -Emillie

Hmm – I wake up at 4 AM right now. Not sure I want to wake up at 3 AM. But I can definitely vouch that getting up at 4 AM lets me get a lot done before the craziness of the day! –ChiefMomOfficer

In the winter, when it’s still cold and dark when you wake up, I’m having more trouble with getting up in the first place, let alone one hour before. But I have the same experience as to the ‘lost’ hours in the evenings. –Divnomic

Every time I try to wake up early, the kiddos end up waking up early and then it just becomes torturous for the rest of the day… I have started to try to wear them out the best I can from activities that I do with them or making them learn and some days (like today) I get them both to nap for a couple hours and I can really get to work and start drilling down on some fun stuff! This is a great idea though! –SteveGoodwin

I know not everyone is a “morning person” but I’d totally trade the low energy hour from 9-10pm where all I can muster is watching TV for a high productive morning hour. – BigLawInvestor

Here’s a fantastic post from ESI Money about how getting up early can help make you wealthy.

And here’s another from our very own J. Money on what he learned following Ben Franklins schedule for a week.

See you soon for our next money challenge!

12 responses to ★ Money Challenge #6: Wake Up One Hour Earlier This Week

1. Go Finance Yourself! January 9th, 2017 at 7:33 am

I’ve been doing this lately to work on my blog, workout, take the dogs on a walk, etc. As someone who has always been a night owl, it was hard at first. But once you get into a habit, it will become addictive. I actually look forward to my time in the morning now and accomplishing something before I head off to work.

• J. Money January 9th, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Yeah! Same here! I’m on a year+ record so far waking up in the 5am-5:30ish range. Such a game changer, though I do miss late nite work sessions sometimes :)

2. Mrs. Picky Pincher January 9th, 2017 at 9:32 am

I like these suggestions! I know everyone says you should get up earlier but no one gives you ideas for what to do with that extra time.

I typically wake up at 6 am but lately I’ve been (ahem, TRYING to) wake up at 5 am. I use that extra hour to work out and shower. It really does make my day a lot better. While I’m on the elliptical I can read new articles for the day, too. Not too shabby!

• J. Money January 9th, 2017 at 1:07 pm

We’ll have to start posting up our new articles for the day at 5am then instead of 6 ;)

3. Physician on FIRE January 9th, 2017 at 4:39 pm

4:15? Sorry, not gonna happen.

Maybe I’ll go to bed an hour earlier. That sounds kinda nice, actually.

Cheers!
    -PoF

• Derek Olsen January 9th, 2017 at 8:11 pm

haha. This is so funny because I was thinking to myself how we forget to suggest going to bed an hour earlier. I started thinking about adding suggestion into the post and thought to myself… “Going to bed an hour early would actually be the best part!”

4. Lake Girl January 9th, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Nice suggestions. It is too easy to get up but then squander the opportunity! I do best when I make a list of what I want to get accomplished when I have unexpected free time!

• derek January 10th, 2017 at 10:00 pm

It’s been said that tomorrow starts tonight, next month starts this month and next year starts this year.

5. Full Time Finance January 9th, 2017 at 6:21 pm

I do often wonder how well this works for non morning people like myself. I can actually see my quality improve if I work later. So I guess for me its go to bed an hour later and use that time productively.

• Derek Olsen January 9th, 2017 at 8:13 pm

That would count as long as you are using that “extra” hour to get to a few things that you’ve been meaning to do. I know a few people who are more productive at night, so it’s whatever works for you. Let us know if this works for you!

6. Tucker January 9th, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Oh god, you are onto me! Becoming an early riser was my resolution this year and so far I have been a dismal failure at it! Of course, I am taking the view that this is a sprint and not a marathon so hopefully it will get better over time.

• Derek Olsen January 9th, 2017 at 8:14 pm

We’ve been spying on you. haha. Perhaps you could do a “wake up 10 minutes earlier for 6 days” challenge?? Rather than do the full hour all at once.