★ Money Challenge #4: Return, Re-gift, or Donate One Thing!

Posted December 26, 2016 6:00 am by with 7 comments

gift

This is part of our Weekly Money Challenge series.

I‘m going to go waaaaaay out on a limb and guess you got a Christmas gift (or five!) you just don’t like or will never use. You’re thinking of the gift right now aren’t you?!

You’re also thinking about what to do with it :)

Today we’re giving you FULL permission to unload it before it turns into clutter.

This Week’s Challenge: Return, Re-gift, or Donate One Present You Know for Sure Does Not Belong in Your House.

Here are your marching orders:

1. Pick the item
  2. Return, re-gift, or donate it!
  3. Jump in the our forums and tell us what you got rid of and why?!

Personally, I got socks and cash and I’m NOT returning any of those! Haha!

(Just don’t re-gift any label makers :))

See you next week. We’ve got a great challenge lined up!

****

Update!

Lot’s of great returns, re-gifting, and donating. Here’s a few of the best ones from the Rockstar Finance Forums.

Sometimes it’s a matter of fashion…

My husband and I got some sweaters from my mother-in-law that were…not quite our style. So we donated them to a local nursing home yesterday so the residents can have new sweaters and stay warm.

J. Money is donating the ice cube tray he got in his stocking, but he’s keeping the boxers! (I don’t blame him.)

Sometimes you can re-gift the same gift for years and years and probably have more fun that way.

Many years ago my brother gave me a really bad paperback book for my birthday. I couldn’t finish it, it was that bad. So for his birthday I wrapped it up and gave it back to him. He returned the favour that Christmas. This has been going on, backwards and forwards, for nearly 20 years now. I found out recently that he didn’t even buy the book to begin with, he found it left behind on the bus.

Cat socks, what can you do?

I’m re-gifting some cat socks my mom gave me to a friend. I’m also re-gifting some hand wipes and a bag that I won online, since I have more than enough to spare!

★ Get The Rockstar Newsletter ★

Love our stuff? Get our top 3 curated articles + our original series automatically sent to your inbox in one compact email, M-F. You won't ever miss a thing :)
NAME:
EMAIL:

7 responses to ★ Money Challenge #4: Return, Re-gift, or Donate One Thing!

1. geckovision December 26th, 2016 at 10:20 am

Have 2 boxes of stuff we are bringing to Goodwill/salvation army.

I give my wife lots of encouragement when she gets in her declutter moods!

• derek December 26th, 2016 at 1:06 pm

haha, I know what you mean. Start to get REALLY encouraging when she mentions getting rid of a few things. lol!!

2. Tucker December 26th, 2016 at 12:12 pm

One of the things we do with the kids is that we use the week after Christmas to get them to shovel out their room. This is to say, we ask them to go through their toys and donate all the good ones they don’t play with anymore and throw out the broken stuff (I am looking at you, weird craft from last summer).

Post-Christmas is a good time to do this with kids because they are still stoked over the gifts they just received so the older, younger toys look even less attractive right now and are more likely to get cut. We have a small home and they share a room so we just can’t keep it all.

• J. Money December 27th, 2016 at 5:56 am

LOVE THAT IDEA!!!

3. Liz H December 26th, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I would deb hard pressed to call a necklace pendant clutter but I returned it today. My darling hubby bought it but it was way too big for me and I know I won’t wear it. The store issued me a credit but I have 2 pieces of jewelry that I WILL wear that need repair so the credit will go toward that.

4. Mrs. Picky Pincher December 27th, 2016 at 10:14 am

Dude, I actually got some awesome stuff this Christmas and don’t want to regift anything! We focused on DIY/homemade gifts this year, and everything my family made was so wonderful and thoughtful. Instead of a “I’ll just buy you a lotion gift basket” mentality, we made meaningful and inexpensive gifts for each other. It’s a great way to avoid clutter in the first place.

• derek December 28th, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Dude, you got lucky!

But seriously. This is the best kind of gift giving IMO. Hopefully others will see this and this kind of gift giving will spread.