★ Money Challenge #17: Ditch Your Car One Day This Week

Posted March 27, 2017 6:00 am by with 7 comments

This is part of our Weekly Money Challenge series.

Is that a bird I hear? Is that the sun I see?

You know what that means…

TIME TO GO FOR A WALK! (Or a bike ride!)

This week’s challenge: Ditch the car for one day and walk or bike instead.

Think about your daily routine and replace at least one trip this week with walking or biking.

What would it take to commute to work by bike? How about the coffee shop, grocery store, or your weekly softball game?

For some of you this might be waaaaaaay out of your comfort zone. I’d suggest trying out a Saturday or Sunday to bike/walk your commute route, or just going to the grocery store and back to pick up a few things. If it’s been 10 years since you’ve been on a bike, don’t worry about it, just do it. No one is looking at you funny! ;)

Ditching the car has multiple benefits… It’s good for the environment, the wallet, and your health.

For you regular bikers/walkers, what advice do you have, and how has it changed your life?

******

PPS: Interested to see what types of cars $$$ bloggers are driving these days? Click here :)

Update!

Ditching your car can take planning an creativity. (One of the reasons it makes for a good challenge!)

Here’s a few wins and challenges we found over in the forums.

Children make this tougher. I can envision a world where I ride my bike to work. (I’m a teacher at my kid’s high school.) I can’t picture me getting my 15 year old daughter to leave 30 minutes early, and ride her bike to school. There are also a few spots along the way that I would consider a little treacherous for her on a bike.
We could easily reduce car mileage with some planning though. There are many days where my car and my son’s car go to and from the same high school. The grocery store is a couple blocks from the school and not close to my house. I typically grocery shop on Sunday, but switching that chore to a work day, would save a trip in the car. –Mr.JumpStart

Ditching the car can also be safer and potentially less stressful, though, honestly, I’m mostly on the environment bandwagon for this one. Ditching the car can also significantly reduce your personal liability if you’re into wealth preservation. I take public transportation or walk everywhere, and haven’t been in a car in a while. That said, I will use the train periodically if I want to travel to a nearby major city, and every few years I take a flight. –NatPhorU

Sound like a plan!

We’re heading to Port Douglas for a long weekend and bringing the bikes! – Peter

Derek heads up the Weekly Money Challenges here at Rockstar Finance and over in the Rockstar Money Forums. He also runs an outrageous blog and podcast over at HowDoIMoney.com - check it out!

7 responses to ★ Money Challenge #17: Ditch Your Car One Day This Week

1. Mrs. Picky Pincher March 27th, 2017 at 8:06 am

This is a great idea! I went without a car for two months last year while we saved up cash to buy a second vehicle. I won’t lie–it was very challenging since we live in a city that’s unfriendly to pedestrians. But it was very eye-opening and sometimes it was even fun. :) It’s something everyone should give a try at least once.

• Derek Olsen March 27th, 2017 at 12:03 pm

So you’re saying you went without a car for 2 months and survived? ;)

2. NatPhorU March 27th, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I have only driven once in the last year, about 5 miles round trip, and it was to pick up my daughter from the hospital when she was born because, for some bizarre reason, they wouldn’t let me take her home unless I used the least safe possible mode of transportation available, car travel.

Walk/bike/subway is the way to go. It’s less stressful, better for the environment, safer, cheaper, better for your physical health (even aside from the benefits of less stress), and helps you not to buy into the great American nightmare/hoax of owning a house in the ‘burbs.

• Derek Olsen March 27th, 2017 at 1:24 pm

wow, that’s crazy. I guess since we had a home birth we didn’t need permission to take our baby home!

We also went without a car at all for about a year once. You are right about it being less stressful. There was something cool about not having to even think about where our car was, does it have gas, oil? Even aside from financial, healthy, and environmental benefits, not having a car had interesting and unexpected mental benefits! Hard to explain to anyone who hasen’t experienced it for themselves.

3. Adam March 27th, 2017 at 12:45 pm

What car?

• Adam March 27th, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Check Google Maps for specific biking directions to wherever you’re going. They’re pretty good, and it’ll even show you bike-friendly streets.

4. J March 27th, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Google maps tells me to take public transportation to get to work it will take about 8 hours, because the interchange point for the bus lines is at the airport. That’s a big part of why people in this area drive. Besides the bus stops adding time, is the lack of reasonable time commutes from county to county, while the highway runs as a straight line through them.