★ Money Challenge #16: Host a Money Meetup

Posted March 20, 2017 6:00 am by with 6 comments

This is part of our Weekly Money Challenge series.

One of the best things about the internet is the ability to connect with like-minded people from all over the world. We get to learn from one another, encourage each other and make lifelong friends.

The icing on the cake is when we have a chance to get together in real life!

This week’s challenge: Join (or create) a local group and plan a meetup around money, life or entrepreneurship.

It doesn’t have to be a Rockstar Finance meetup, and it doesn’t have to involve hundreds of people. Meet up with one person for lunch or beer and the mission will be completed!

Here are a few places you can easily find others who love this money stuff as much as you do:

Schedule a meetup with at least one other person, and then come back and tell us how it went :)  And let us know if you find other great groups/forums as well we should be checking out!

******

Update!

Love this!! We just had our 2nd Chicago FIRE meetup thanks to this page. Our next event is scheduled for June 5 to include a visiting guest of honor, @RetirementManifesto. :slight_smile: Nothing on the books for this week but I will see if I can’t get a one on one with someone. Can’t wait to hear everyone else’s stories! – MissMazuma

Such good timing on this challenge! I just got all the arrangements in order for a meetup in the suburbs of Washington DC next month:

Hoping for huge success! (Which I define as: excited people show up and have a wonderful time!) (Rumor is J.Money might show up!)

We have a meetup in Paoli, PA on Saturday, April 29 at 2 PM, if anyone is interested in joining us. :slight_smile: There are four couples attending so far! –twocuphouse

★ Get The Rockstar Newsletter ★

Love our stuff? Get our top 3 curated articles + our original series automatically sent to your inbox in one compact email, M-F. You won't ever miss a thing :)
NAME:
EMAIL:

6 responses to ★ Money Challenge #16: Host a Money Meetup

1. Mr. Groovy March 20th, 2017 at 9:28 am

I love it. Last month Mrs. Groovy and I met up with Claudia and Garrett from Two Cup House. And we had a blast. In April, we plan to meet up with Fritz from Retirement Manifesto. So Money Meetups, regardless of size, are definitely worth it. Anyone up for a Raleigh, NC, meetup?

• Derek Olsen March 20th, 2017 at 11:11 am

That is awesome! And you are so right, the number of people who show up doesn’t really make a difference in the quality of the meet up. I’ve been to dozens of meet ups and some of the best ones had less than 6 or 7 people. Makes for a good conversation.

2. Mrs. Picky Pincher March 20th, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Yissss! I was just talking about this the other day with Mr. Picky Pincher. It’s tough to make friends when you’re a grumpy old woman in a 20-something body. I was forlornly wishing we had meetup groups for like-minded people. I’m not sure if any of the ones listed here are in my area, but I’m considering starting one. ;)

• J. Money March 26th, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Haha… i would never guess you’re a grumpy old lady!!

3. Chris @ Mindful Explorer March 26th, 2017 at 2:01 pm

I just finished up a little MMM forums meet-up that a few of us local members organized. It was cool as we are all FIRE or on the verge of becoming so. We are all the same age (roughly) and all loved the outdoors so you can imagine how awesome the get together was.

• J. Money March 26th, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Well that’s pretty incredible how that worked out!